View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Oddometer: 452
6. Ensa-"todas"

Today was a first for the Killer, she got to go to a mechanic. I’ve never handed her over to anyone before, but these guys definitely know what they were doing. The further away you live from a big city the more resourceful you must become when problems arise. This is the case everywhere I’ve gone and it shows in the locals abilities to problem solve any issue.

You can always tell you are in baja because of all the offroad rigs running around. Obviously many end up in the shops as well.

They scoped it out for a second and Damaso helped with the translation specifics. They then drilled and retapped both the peg and the mounting bracket and had her fixed up lickety-split. They even put in some much sturdier bolts. Gracias to the guys over at Tama Motorsports and muchos gracias Damaso for the great shop recommendation.

There are lots of great reasons to travel via motorcycle, the freedom, the versatility, the fun factor, etc. Another is how easy it is to explore. It’s so simple to just cruise around, head on a swivel, and explore an area. I turned the GPS off, and took the rest of the day try to get a feel for Ensenada.

First stop, some much needed tacos. The lady running the street cart pegged me for a guy that didn’t know much spanish yet. Is it the ginger beard?? She was correct. She asked “Un taco pescado?”. “No, cinco, por favor.” She looked at me suspiciously, questioning my understanding of 'cinco'. I nodded and held up 5 fingers. Don’t worry this white boy can eat.

I meandered through neighborhoods which changed from housing, to work communities, to social gathering locations like parks packed with families playing with their kids. The ebb and flow of the cities different zones slowly being downloaded as I criss-cross across it's districts.

Not sure if this sculpture is made of whale bones or not, but I think it’s formed into something that is most definitely not a whale.

Offroad racing is HUGE here, for obvious reasons, think Baja 500 & 1000 among the more famous races. Around every corner you hear the loud brraaappppp of dirtbikes cycling through the gears and there is no shortage of heavily modded trophy trucks, buggies, and ATVs.

This is where the Baja 500 and 1000 start. It’s a big flag repping the well deserved pride of this special place and country. Girl from a cruise ship took my picture and said the flag was the size of a football field. She was drunk.

After the Baja races start they wind through town as they head for the mountains and then the open desert. One of the spots where they can start to open up their motors is this water viaduct that cuts through the center of town. The whole corridor is packed with people wanting to see the vehicles. The noise must be absolutely thundering from the motors, pinned wide open, tearing down the viaduct towards the end of town. I rode my bike down into it for a photo. It's just a water way, but an eery feeling lingers, as if you were stepping into a Colosseum and you can 'feel' the excitement of what happens there. It makes sense though. This is a coliseum of sorts. One for vehicular gladiators, on their way to battle mother nature and the clock. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up imagining the event in full-tilt, the roar of the motors echoing off the banks.

If you’re hartbeat is low while reading this RR, watch this video and take a visual injection of epicness straight to the dome.

After criss-crossing the city several times I pushed further out from the city/village/town(?) to explore other areas.

And then still further, out onto a peninsula that wraps out into the pacific, south of Ensenada. You can see Ensenada in the distance.

Fair amount of people out getting around on horses.

The next day Damaso invited me along to the Cochilocos Sunday breakfast ride. Riding and eating, two of my favorite things.

We took a winding mountain road outside of town that twisted and banked higher and higher until it leveled out and turned into a dirt road. At the end of the road was our breakfast destination.

Group shot, I’m super good at photography.

Roberto and Damaso both have KLRs, here is Roberto’s good looking Gen2.

Great riding with and meeting all of you Cochilocos, thanks for showing me the best road in Ensenada.

After the ride back into town everyone peeled off to head in our separate directions. I pulled in the clutch to come to a stop light when it went, POP. No more clutch, cable snapped. I felt it going when we started the ride that morning. The ominous scraping vibrations transmitting through my fingertips on the lever as the cable strands individually give up, one by one. Roberto and his wife Coco where still behind me so they noticed and stopped as well.

I have a spare already routed and ziptied next to the original though so we just had to hook up the ends. Thanks for your help with the cable Roberto, ciao amigo.

Tomorrow I’m going to cross the peninsula and head towards the east coast of Baja and San Felipe. Should be able to find more dirt there. It’s never far away in Baja.

SeanPNW screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 10:43 PM
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote