View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #1439
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucknarut View Post
I think the most important thing I learned is, your noggin is both your biggest asset and your own worst enemy, so you never quit learning and practicing. It amazes me how many riders have no flippin' clue what can lead to a crash and why. Gotta be able to pick up and assess risk correctly, and not get yourself in over your head. Then, when it hits the fan, your knee-jerk reactions are all hard-wired for a much slower world than bike speed. Fear and adrenaline hits, you'll clamp down on the bars, focus on the danger, cut the throttle, hit the brakes hard in a corner, panic when the rear wheel cuts loose, etc. etc. Takes a lot of rehearsing to overcome a natural fear response.
True. I've got over 20 years riding experience. Two years ago, while out on my supermoto, I had a moose dart out in front of me. It was 6 am, I was doing 80 km/h, and was riding in a heavily forested area. I managed to avoid the moose because I was ready. I had practised tons of emergency stop manoeuvres in my early years. I brought the bike from 80 to zero in no time, the rear tire locked up slightly, enough to chirp (which I think frightened the moose causing him to turn and run away). It all happened in a blink.

I've avoided many other accidents, mostly cagers who've pulled out in front of me or into my lane. I only laid a bike down once: too much front brake pulling off a road into an empty parking lot (there was sand at the entrance to the lot). I was cold (riding in 5 degree Celsius), tired, had a headache, had been riding for 90 minutes. A bone-headed split-second decision to pull over to adjust a neck warmer I was wearing and BAM I was down. I could hear my helmet hit the ground and I slid. No injuries due to wearing all leather (during my cruiser days). Only thing hurt was my pride.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote