View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #1113
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Paukibiker, You had to know someone here has one of those gold bikes you were dissing and you dissed it anyway. Hee,Hee,Hee... At least you said IMO, which covers your butt. I've heard the Tuono's were some fast, great handling bikes, regardless of color.

Croak, is that a fact, fast and great handlers? tp
Yep, all true. Though the gold and bronze framed models were of course the fastest, best handling of the bunch, and the Magnet Gray was the best performing model of all. :)

But seriously, I've owned a lot of bikes, and my decade old, 70k mile Tuono is still my favorite. It's 30ish pounds heavier than the Yamaha, but 10+ pounds more torque and 15+ more HP, all day comfortable on the slab or the backroads. It's been dead nuts reliable except for being a bit hard on batteries and fork seals (blame the wheelies).

With a good aftermarket EEPROM and full dual exhaust it's very tractable down low, kicks like a mule in the midrange, and screams all the way to redline. Finally, it actually looks like it might have more tank range than the Yamaha (amazing since it's a thirsty bike).

Sadly, it's in storage in Vancouver and I'm in Malta (and riding a Kymco scooter!). So the MT-09 is tempting me as a European replacement, but it works out to over 2x the cost of just buying a used, well sorted Tuono from Italy, so it's not a slam dunk.

But it is the first Japanese bike I've actually considered owning in over a decade, if that tells you anything.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote