View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #59
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Half the fun is having something different, set up the way you want it. These bikes can be made to be just as capable as a more expensive KTM or BMW Twins with longer service intervals & better reliability. Parts availability is generally improved as well. The parts he's replacing happen to be parts that are commonly damaged in a minor accident, making a salvage bike an ideal candidate to update.
True dirt bikes? No, but awesome adventure bikes definately
Mine tips the scales at 440lbs ready to ride, 5.4 gallons of fuel, racks & engine guards & skid pans installed.
Compare that the 540lb KTM990 I had equipped the same way. The KTM got mid to high 30's mpg, my jap bike gets low 40's if I ride it like I stole it & gets high 40's if I behave.
Easy 200 mile range with less fuel on board.
While I agree with the comments made above, I wouldn't say that a naked down version of a versys or vstrom is better compared with an SE which is still lighter than 440lbs quite more powerful and if properly jetted will get low-mid 40s mpg if you behave. But certainly making your own conversion involves a lot of inventive fun!

mousitsas screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 11:48 PM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote