View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #3655
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
How about some gas pipe love?

I picked up this '72 Schwinn Suburban 19" 10spd, in an eBay 5-pack auction. There were other bikes in the group that I wanted and had no intention of restoring it, but, she had other ideas for me. There were numerous issues with it including an incorrect fork and fender. The rust hid some pretty nice chrome, plus I had replacements for stuff that wasn't. It got a NOS seat, correct basket set and rack, '73 Schwinn chrome accessory fenders with '80 Suburban chrome stays, period-correct Wald front basket, new Jagwire cables, DT SS spokes, powdercoat, new tires, all aluminum hand polished, all hardware re-plated in the correct finish, and ran the gen-set wiring internally (lights were removed for the baskets). I would've love to have found correct decals, but, they're usually yellowed from age. Die-cut vinyl is the cleanest option. She rides the thing everywhere.

Before:

After:

I got home, yesterday, and found this beast in the driveway. It's a '74 Schwinn Sprint 24". I don't see them very often. This one is in great shape and is all original, except for the Specialized Touring tires. The tires are brand new with the center mold seam and zero miles. I have no idea what era they're from, but, are hard as rocks. I threw in a new, front tube, tweaked the brakes and seat height, and took off. This'll be a neat bike that many haven't ever seen. The paint is in good shape, so I'll just polish it out along with all the aluminum. The bar tape only has one little mark on the left drop and the seat has a couple of very small scuffs. Of course, I'll soak all the chrome in oxalic acid.

I've got a bunch of other Schwinn stuff, though it's all gas pipe tubing. Somebody has to keep 'em around.

ducnut screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 08:20 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote