View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #1141
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
Yes. But, as kids, there was no instruction. We learned as a pure trial and error/stimulus response activity. Cognition of what we were trying to learn often got in the way of actually learning how to do it. Thus, some kids seemed to "get it" right away. And other kids struggled for some period of time. In the comic strip Calvin and Hobbs, Calvin struggles with learning to ride a bicycle while his Dad who does ride often is of no real help. Ask any kid who rides how he/she does that and teach it to a kid who does not ride for an example of frustration.

Some years ago, a guy was selling a vhs tape of how to teach a kid to ride a bicycle in about 20-40 minutes. I haven't seen it. but am led to believe that it works pretty well.

A cupple years prior to that "Bicycle" magazine ran a blurb on how tough it was to teach a highly motivated and well intentioned adult to ride a bicycle. The guy eventually learned. At the time it amazed me that that such 'experts' would not know how to do that?

My grandkids cannot ride a bicycle and seem to have no interest, wtf?

tbc
Nice one. Boon Boon. That exemplifies the current thinking on how to get the job done. I took the pedals off the crank for my grandkids to use as a hobby horse learning steering and balance. Their interest was less than stellar.

But, the bicycle riders still do not have the cognition to understand what they are doing. And that lack of knowledge prevents them from teaching the technique. Another poster noted that none of the non-bicycle riding students in the MSF class passed and that the skill was too hard to teach there. I concur as none such students in my MSF class learned to ride either. But, I didn't know then what I know now about teaching how to ride a bicycle. The bicycle is the cheap and less dangerous way of learning the skill which then can be transfered to motorcycles.

I know some pretty accomplished motorcycle road racers who do not understand how a bike steers nor how they do it for themselves. Their talent for riding is not diminished for that lack. But their ability to instruct is hampered.

ibafran screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 11:11 AM
ibafran is offline   Reply With Quote