ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post

This bird brought me back home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
It happened during the original operation Desert Storm. My wingman and I were sent to track down and intermittent radar contact by the AWACS. AWACS suspected a helicopter was flying low and slow trying to avoid detection. While my wingman covered me high at around 10K feet, I went down low for a visual confirm and intercept if possible. While down low searching I saw a tower and went right, missing the tower, but clipped a support steel cable. The tower was not marked on any of the charts we had access to. Made for an exciting ride to the closest runway with enough length to make a landing. Flight back was uneventful. Landing was a bit hair raising, the left main gear would not come down, made a 2 wheel landing and kept the left wing up as long as I could, skidded about 300 yards to a stop, popped the canopy open, jumped and ran as fast as I could towards the crash crew.
So, I didn't recall seeing this pic and I consider myself to be a bit of a military aviation fan. I did a bit of searching around and found what looks to be a decent source which listed aircraft lost and or damaged in the original Operation Desert storm.
http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/other/losses.html

Here are all the F-15s lost or damaged during that conflict that I could find:

Quote:
30/09/90 F-15E 87-0203/SJ Pilot - Maj. Peter S. Hook - KIA
WSO - Cpt. James P. Poulet - KIA 335th TFS/4th TFW Aircrew was flying a single-ship training mission at maximum gross weight. Prior to deployment, the pilot had an exchange tour with an RAF unit in Scotland. Co-incidentally, the two units were now based together, which allowed the pilot to conduct an intercept with an RAF friend who was also flying on a training mission in the local area. The F-15E pilot had decided to “play” air-to-air against the RAF Jaguar, despite strict orders against making air intercepts. The Jaguar was flying at 100 feet above the ground and the F-15E at 10,000 to 15,000. The pilot attempted to perform a stern conversion with the Jaguar. The tail of the aircraft scrapped the ground three hundred feet before the final impact destroyed the aircraft and killed the aircrew
Quote:
18/01/91 F-15E 88-1689/SJ Callsign "T-Bird 56"
Pilot - Maj. Thomas F. "Teek" Koritz - KIA
WSO - Maj. Donnie R. "Chief Dimpled Balls" Holland - KIA 335th TFS/4th TFW 16nm SW of Basra AAA
Quote:
20/01/91 F-15E 88-1692/SJ Callsign "Corvette 03"
Pilot Col. David W. Eberly - POW
Navigator Maj. Thomas E. Griffith - POW 4th TFW Al Qiam SA-2 Story
Quote:
22/01/91 F-15C 83-0026/FF 71st TFS/1st TFW "Home Station" sitting in the F-15 alert area when damaged by fragments from an intercepted Scud missile
Quote:
13/02/91 F-15C 514, ex 80-0074 Callsign "Tiger 53"
Pilot - KIA 6th Sqn. RSAF 25m SE of Khamis Mushait crashed
The info provided with and about the pic doesn't seem to fit anything I can find. I'll go do a bit more research...