View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #1607
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The original spec was for something to replace the Jeep: behind the lines, 'light weight,' people and equipment hauler.

It was never designed to go into combat. That its been pressed into duty for that is a testament to both the ingenuity of the troops and the short-sightedness of the guys planning equipment purchases.

Back to Landy questions: there's a Disco on CL locally with a blown head gasket. How hard are those to do? How much of the crap on top of the engine needs to come off? etc etc etc

M
Like so many things, how handy are you?

As for the HG, I got a '00 DII for cheap because it had all the leaking HG symptoms. I paid a shop (Biggs Eastside in Bellvue, WA--good guys!) to do the work after doing homework on it. It was about $2K. In retrospect it would have been smarter to have the shop look at the job and quote rather than chance the purchase. I suppose one way to work this out would be to get a WRITTEN agreement that the sale is pending an inspection and would be voided if it was the sleeves rather than "just" the headgasket.

*If* you get a DII with obvious problem cheap you can put that money towards fixes/mods. You know, because the work "has to be done anyway."
Tripl Nikl is online now   Reply With Quote