View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #63
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
That is the industry view - that a controlling, often coercive influence strategy is the most efficient approach.

The industrial sales view is that asking a question like "What do you owe" before establishing the needs of the buyer and why he may or may not trade in a vehicle on a new purchase is not of value to the buyer: it is of value to the seller.

When I meet a salesperson who doesn't even have a phone extension or email address, it's proof that the dealership is still practicing these outmoded methods. We buy one or two vehicles a year at work and now I just find a dealer who will make the deal by email only, or we buy private sale. It's not worth the time to deal with them.
Part of the reason I feel is actually a valid management of the sale process. Whether it's a legitimate reason or not, the customer rarely enjoys seeing the price go up, and sometimes if you shoot straight, and lay all the cards on the table in the order they come, you end up having to tell the buyer that the net cost to him/her just went up, bcs for example, their loan payoff had to be worked into the conversation. Now, some customers can swallow that easily, and recognize the truth. Others will just get emotional. I'm not saying *I* like to be treated like an idiot, but it's sometimes just not worth being honest, when the net result is a lost sale, where instead you leave yourself the option of coming back to say "yes, the loan payoff hurts you, but I talked w/ our manager, and he's willing to eat some profit to help you." You, as a company, don't have that option of being helpful if all you are is a low-margin fixed price operation. Of course, it bites both ways, but really...what's the *prudent* decision for a sales team? Best not to leave *all* the cards on the table at first? Best to shoot straight? tough call. And I can totally see the sales side of the situation too...it's not like the customer is looking out for your interest. If you go unprofitable, and die...it's not like your customer *really* cares. Take the car somewhere else for service. Nobody's looking out for the dealer except the dealer.

The dealer I bought my car from, laid the cards on the table straight. When he said "I'm going to have to tack on $400 to send a driver 650miles away to pick it up," I knew that was a straight call. I took alot of variables off the table, so it was pretty much just cost of car, cost of financing, and any transactional costs like that. I liked that experience. The guy worked his ass off to find me the *exact* features I wanted. I think it's all a judgement call how you handle the customers...what experience fits the bill.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote