View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #132
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post

Opinions vary so much on this topic. When we are in cities, we usually find a central location, and either park the bike in front of the hotel/hostel or on several occasions the owner suggested inside the establishment; which is always cool. We then walk or use public transportation to get around. While on the road, we just park in front of the room with the bike backed up for easy access.

I've never subscribed to the put-the-bike-in-the-room paranoia, but that's just me.

Many also like to pack a thin bike cover, for us it is just one more thing to carry.

This said we did get some stuff stolen from our crash bar zip-bags, in Palenque. The bike was parked on the sidewalk of a quiet street right at the entrance of the hostel. The stuff they took was mostly useless, including my "locked" front disk lock and waterproof tank bag cover.

Generally speaking I don't worry too much about it, I just make sure the bike is secure by local standards.

When we rode Europe in 2008, I always left the bike on the streets even for 3-4 days, hardly moving it in cities like Rome, Madrid, Athens... never had anything happen.

Of course YMMV

Thanks for tagging along strom thingie
Thanks for the reply. I've had my bike all over Europe and no issues, though I tend to stay away from the larger cities here.

Glad to be along for the ride as it fuels my desire to conduct this trip even more!
strom thingie is online now   Reply With Quote