View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #184
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Nicoya Peninsula: Escaping the Grind. Day II/Part II

It was around 0930 and we had managed to break camp, load the bike and go 200 meters to food and showers. While the wife dolled up I chowed down on gallo pinto, juevo tierno, carne en salsa, natilla, a splash of Tabasco and an ice cold Imperial. I topped it all off with a decent cup of coffee.

We had the place to ourselves. We rolled up and sprawled our things comfortably. The lights were out at first but eventually came back so we could charge out domestic electronics. The ladies also have a nice campground around the restaurant and back near their house. I didnít ask if they charge, but with $1 showers I doubt it would be expensive.

We took our time and eventually got out of there. Just in time to ride through the hottest hours of the day.

We twisted through cattle country on the Costa Rican knock-off of the PCH. It is a great dirt road twisting through the hills. I just feel you donít see the ocean enough, although it is never far away.

We stopped for a quick break at the intersection where we dumped the bike last year.

We made it to Punta Islita which is the section that more reminiscent of the actual PCH with big ocean views. The grass was tall and the road was bumpy so I did not see very much. Here is a very amature video I kept below two minutes for good reason.
VIDEO
This is also where we ran out of daylight last year and continued on it the dark.

How awesome it was when we could see. The city of Islita has some real charm, I will have to make this a destination someday and not just pass through.

After Islita the road got better, only one lane in most parts.

Then out of nowhere the road became this dreamlike asphalt. Steep elevation changes and tight mountain twisties. Ana said she didnít take any pics because she thought we were going to fall at any moment. I was riding pretty aggressive, there was no one around. Towards the end the breaks must have been getting hot because they got a little mushy. I thought about pulling over to cool everything off a bit but the road flattened out.

We soon arrived at Puerto Carillo where we grabbed a couple of granizados to cool us off. It was 1400 and smoking hot. They were just what the Dr. ordered.

This lady pushes her shaded cart around with a block of ice and sweetness.

The road remained paved until we reached Samara where we stopped for a canned tuna and crackers lunch on the beach.

You donít have to go to India for one of these; you only need go to Samara.

Outside of Samara the pavement ends and we were on our way to one of the obstacles I have wanted to see since traversing it last year.

The river we crossed in the dark. I still remember the terror as we aimed for the opening on the other side and just sunk right before the exit. This time though we were able to find the shallower route downstream and I powered through with my feet on the pegs. Ana was filming supposedly but we found only two small clips from the area; little blips before and after the crossing.

We arrived to Olgaís Beachfront Bar in Playa Pelada. Here we met our friend of years, Gary, a retired tradesman from the Chicagoland area who is living the life. After a quick beer at Olgaís we headed back to his place. I was preparing for a shower when Gary advised I was going to miss sunset. It is a west coast beach rule; five oíclock you be on the beach.

Ana was beat and crashed on us shortly after her shower. Gary made one of the best cups of coffee I have had in my life and that was all I needed for a second wind. We took off to the town party at a hotel just up the beach a ways with a real swanky theme going on. Repetitive house music, but brought out the best in everyone. We sipped cold beers and watched the flesh walking around and eventually made it home just in time for the end of Day II.

Nicoya Peninsula: Escaping the Grind. Day III/Part I
The party didnít stop. We pushed on past 0100 with more beer and Tequila shots as a night cap.

I donít consider myself an authority of any type but I like coffee. That box in the picture above is filled with the daily arrival of fresh toasted coffee. I shit you not, this stuff is the best I have seen. The aroma would come and go between shots of Tequila and when it hit you it was impossible not to pick up a bag and smother your face in it. I had the desire to pop open a bag of the ground coffee he had and Scarface it.

Gary is the founder of Beach Blend Coffee. www.beachblendcoffee.com He makes connections directly with the toasters and receives coffee from all the different regions of Costa Rica. If you are in the area, and have coffee fanatic friends back home, look him up. If they get a bag of his coffee, whole bean or ground, your friends will be asking for more with the persistence of a junkie.

Camping out front of Olgaís on the beach in the above pic is also prohibited. There are showers in the back and a watchy-man all night for security. Playa Pelada is a super chill beach with a ton of stuff to do nearby. I think it is the closest thing to being in California in the late 60í without the hassle and expense of time travel.

The finale to comeÖ
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote