View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #35
MTrider16 OP
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
I read a lot of ride reports and I like yours a lot. Well written. Thank you for an entertaining RR. Just what I needed this afternoon while I am stuck at work in Tanegashima, Japan. Sitting here waiting on my turn to do some more work. Keep it up.
Jim

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I'm doing the CDR trail in late summer (Aug.) and can't decide between the DRZ or the GS. I will have to travel about 1300 miles to get to the start of the trail, complete the trail, them 1400ish miles home.

With my limited off road ability is the GS the bike I want to go on? Or is the DRZ the bike to handle the 'off road' sections the choice?

On one hand I hate to ride to the start, then home, on the DRZ. On the other hand fire trail, gravel and forestry roads are not a problem for me on the GS but I don't want to be picking up the GS on a regular basis

From your report the roads look very doable on the GS.

By the way I loved your RR with the maps and daily mileage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer this question, but I'll give it a shot. There are lots of roads around Montana to route on. It will be fairly easy to go around the hard spots. Fleecer Ridge, The Sand Track north of Red Rock Lake, etc. With the 1400 mile trip before and after, I would probably go with the GS knowing you might skip some spots. Most roads are easy like you saw in my report. Course I have only ridden from the Canadian border to Steamboat CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I did it on my 800GS and the only parts you should bypass on the GS are the Lava Mtn. section south of Helena and Fleecer Ridge south of Butte. I would even bypass them on the DRZ but that's your call. Did not ride any of NM so can't say about that part.
Thanks Eddy
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote