View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #51
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Let's plan on starting in Sisters on Wednesday, August 27th. We can ride route 4 to Seneca to start. Now lets talk about the second half...

Should we ride route 4 back or take section 2 of route 5 to Hwy 20, then ride Hwy 20 back to Sisters?

I believe route 4 is 240 miles. I've never done one of the routes before, but I'm guessing we can comfortably cover 100-150 miles per day...

Votes?
So you have four days? Starting the 27th & back by the 1st? Seneca, then South to Riley on Hwy 20 is the longest no gas OBDR section. Seems it was in the 140-160 mile range? I had plenty of fuel to siphon up some fuel to a DRZ that ran out.

Route 4, then 5 to Riley/Hwy 20 would be a good three days, likely, unless you pushed miles and time, but that's a silly thing to do when you wanna enjoy a vacation. If you head South out of Riley on Rt 5, this puts you into 110 miles or so of the Great Sandy Desert before you get to Christmas Valley. Fine for some if you like sand, sage, and the view of two ruts for 110 miles of nothing else.

If you take Rt 5 North from Seneca, you get (get!) to cross the Malhuer. Not to be missed, IMHO. Then towards Sumpter.....I enjoyed this section best. I believe it would be two days better spent on Rt 5 than going South. Unless you like the Desert thing. But this would put you a long ways from getting back to Sisters quickly, if you need to return there for a truck/trailer.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote