View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #738
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telkwa7 View Post
Thanks, your ride and report was truly inspirational, well done!
As my wife and I will be departing on a rtw this September, and as we are still in the planning stages, could you tell me what insurance company/coverage you used. We are residents of BC and I was informed that the provincial carrier (ICBC) does not cover outside of N. America.
You won't find an insurance company to cover you everywhere...at least I couldn't.

I purchased liability insurance for the bike at each border crossing that required it. I did not buy insurance for those countries that did not require it. Most in Central America did require it and I believe only Colombia and Ecuador in South America. Check out Liferemotely for great border crossing info.

I also bought insurance for Mexico at the border.

As far as health insurance I used Mediquote www.mediquote.ca . They have a really good plan which includes vehicle return and great staff. And it's a Canadian company to boot! Make sure to advise your provincial health care folks about your trip if it will be longer than 6 months, they can give you a little grace period.

I also subscribed to the SAR coverage that you can buy with a SPOT or inReach device.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote