Race number: #317 (class: Moto Profi)

Nationality: British

Bike: KTM 450 EXC

Service Team: Desert Rose Racing

Team Name: Dirtpunk-Zen Overland

Paul was chief navigator on the Mondo Sahara movie project

Brand New KTM 450 and Rally Raid Products' navigation kit

“Dream it. Do it. and have fun at it!”

As the self-professed ‘Chief bottle washer’ at Dirtpunk, it’s clear that Paul Castle does not take life all that seriously: “Dirtpunk is all about having fun on (motor)bikes” he smiles. And certainly their ever expanding range of dirt-bike related merchandise very much follows that ethos.

However this light hearted approach to life and riding in general belies a serious overland adventure rider and crack navigator.

As part of the seven strong ‘Mondo Sahara’ team who undertook an unsupported venture into the uncharted Empty Quarter of the Mauritanian Sahara in 2012 (now the subject of a full length documentary feature film), Paul is used to relying on his wits coupled with a thorough knowledge of current navigation technology.

No stranger to competing in UK rally and enduro events such as the Cambrian, Powis and legendary Dawn2Dusk, his new-found love of desert riding and adventure has led Paul to the inevitable conclusion “This is actually my first desert Rally Raid event” he grins. “After Mondo Sahara, [Dirtpunk/Zen Overland teammate] Gabriel and I were itching to get back to the desert - and felt the Tuareg Rallye would be the perfect opportunity to fulfill our ambition to actually race in a desert rally!” he smiles.

“Of course this is likely to be just the beginning - both Gabe and I have plans to race the Baja 1000 in the future too. "My motivation is the same as it was for Monda Sahara - ‘Dream it. Do it!’ - or at least have as much fun as possible trying!”

For more info about Dirtpunk and Mondo Sahara: www.dirtpunk.co.uk

JM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote