View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #162
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Tuareg Rally Report - Scrutineering (Friday March 7th 2014) - #47 Tony Landh

“The need to focus”

For a rider more used to battling through snow and Scandinavian forest enduros, 53 year old Tony Landh delivered a stand out performance last year during the Tuareg Rallye, finishing 9th overall in what was his first desert navigation event.

Returning this year with the intention to improve on that result, he also has a brand new bike - albeit it his tried and trusted combination of 450cc KTM and the innovative Swedish Raid Designs MRS rallye kit - offering a very lightweight and maneuverable machine.

“Last year I was finding my pace - it was my first time using a road book, so I treated if more like an adventure ride - we even stopped on the second day to take photos!” he laughs.

“This year however, it is my intention is to get into ‘race-mode’ right from the beginning - then I will be able to see exactly what it will take [to improve on last year]” he says.

Despite a slightly smaller field than in 2013, Tony doesn’t feel that is going to be any advantage “It is the cream of the crop that is here” he suggests “And as always, the caliber of competition is very high...”

“I still feel my weakness is in the navigation” he reveals “Last year I was able to find each individual waypoint - but what I need to do now is concentrate on linking all those together, and try to eliminate the opportunity for errors.” Having witnessed the pace of the front-runners, Tony also admits “The other thing I’m going to have to do is raise my speed just a little more, and also try to avoid riding as part of a pack.”

Certainly for someone more used to close-contact enduro style racing, the desert particularly holds new-found appeal “For me I like the solitude - and the need for [total] focus” he says.

ends.

Stage result: not applicable

Overall position: not applicable

Photo:

Links: www.facebook.com/landhofracing Youtube: alwaysktm
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote