View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #4920
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsideup View Post
Murray Walker, R4, Desert Island Discs - worth a listen Planktonnn?
My limited/cheap connection won't allow playback from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xzx62#threeG, which may also have region limits so may not be accessible internationally? I walked past a radio that was playing the show sometime over the weekend (Sat or Sun? ie scheduled to link with the 1st GP of the year) and he seemed to be chatting away amiably enough, at that point about the old 'How I got started in commentary' tale, which if one didn't know was thru/ough Papa Walker. Oh the fate of birth.

The songs listed at the link above do seem to reflect the man.

The copyright restricted podcast version usually doesn't include more than snapshots of the songs so one would get a better rounded feel thru/ough playback at the link above, but the chat is all there & maybe that's the bit that matters? I just get a 'This stream doesn't seem to be working' flag & can't get a download workaround to work, around. This SIM/dongle connection is odd as sometimes it lets me play things, sometimes not. The throttling policy seems off kilter.

I was fond enough of Murray & his enthusiasm and it's true, as is often said, he could make a dull race seem tense, but most of all I loved Hunt. I remember watching the following live & spat my coffee

Brundle was quality but not maverick like James. Martin would infer a sarcasm or snipe, but James would say it. Jonathan Plalmer was bluddy awful. As said before my fav commentary combination has been Ryder/Moody/Spalding, and it was good when Mamola was there. Informed, insightful & enthusiastic. A loss.

planktonnn screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 08:22 PM
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote