View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #22570
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Tecate Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
I'm riding solo from Palm Springs to Cabo to visit friends for a week (leaving the 23rd), and basically just need to get there ASAP - and still have a nice ride! I can do some exploring on the way back when I have a bit more time.
First time Mexico rider! Spanish consists of a phrase book - but have holidayed in Mexico a number of times. Right - el gringo stupido
Pretty sure I want to avoid Tijuana.
So, is it best to cross a Mexicali and go south on 5 until it intersects 1? Or cut across to Ensenada using 2 and 3? Or cross at Tecate and take 3 to 1/

Apologies for the non-adventure route - maybe next time.
Thanks for any advice.

Oh, KTM 990.
I would cross at Tecate take the 3 down to the 1 and head South. That is the way I came back a year ago. All pavement and not much traffic except near Tecate. Coco's Corner seems to be something everyone wants to do... I don't get it. 3 through the wine country is interesting. 1 between Los Pinos (S. of Ensenada, great hotel there... see my RR) and Guerrero Negro can be very interesting if it is raining. Check out the vados and you will see how much water can come down from the Mts. to the East. Loreto is nice, don't waste your time with Mulege. On your way back check out Bahia de Los Angeles. There is a long stretch North of Guerrero Negro where there is no fuel! There is a decent hotel S. of Santa Rosalia, a rambling stone place on the cliff. When I was there last year they did not have any food and only 2 beers even though it is right next to the distribudora. They may have gotten the food thing straightened out by now.