View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Oddometer: 716
Next, we needed to head toward Oxford, MD, via the long way through Blackwater Wildlife Refuge.

More detailed route of Blackwater Wildlife Refuge.

We hopped on Liners Rd.

Such patience!

Then Maple Dam Road (which seemed to also be named Robbinsville Road). THIS road is definitely worth checking out. It snakes its way through astonishingly green, impossibly beautiful marshland. I felt like I was on another planet.

Isn't he pretty?

We had this road to ourselves as we made our way to Key Wallace Drive, and then to the Wildlife Drive within the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge. There is a $3/vehicle entrance fee for the Wildlife Drive, and it is worth it. Like Maple Dam Road, it's a narrow winding road (15 mph speed limit though) across dreamily beautiful marshes. I saw more cranes and herons than I have seen in my lifetime.

Sadly, we had to make our way back to civilization. We rode 16 N back to 50 N, then trekked through the small town of Trappe on 565 N, to Whitemarsh Road, to Almshouse Road, and then Peachblossom/Oxford Road, where we traveled at good clip to the beautiful town of Oxford, MD. Although I'm sure you are all law abiding citizens like me, I will note that it's best to keep below the speed limit as soon as it changes from 50 to 25.

Oxford, MD.

I didn't get many photos of Oxford as we were arriving to take the Oxford-Bellevue Ferry across the Tred Avon River to the town of Bellevue, and I was certain we were about to miss the last ferry over.

Oxford is a small and quiet town with old, gorgeous homes, all with stunning views of the water. It originally served as a thriving colonial port, and was the home of Liverpool-born Robert Morris Jr., to whom the independence of America owes a great debt, bad pun intended. I've stayed in Oxford once before at the Robert Morris Inn (named after Junior), an old, cozy and comfortable place on a rainy and cold winter night. The Inn has a terrific restaurant that I must recommend.

Thankfully, I was wrong and we did not miss the last ferry. And we wound up having the ferry mostly all to ourselves.

It was my bike's first time on a boat - he was nonplussed.

The River was dotted with sailboats as we made our way across the Tred Avon.

From Bellevue, we headed to 33 W to the town of St. Michaels and our home for the night.

This map shows the route from Oxford to Tilghman Island. St. Michaels is where S. Talbot Street is noted.

Although nearby islands were captured by the British, St. Michaels successfully defended itself twice during the War of 1812. Samuel Hambleton, a lieutenant in the US Navy and assistant to Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, built a home there in 1816 and named it "Perry Cabin" after his friend. It was converted to an inn in the 1980s and that's where we stayed.

Our room before we trashed it with our motorcycle gear. The Miles River was just outside.

Blixa screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 09:18 AM
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote