View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Oddometer: 862
I mentioned earlier that food always tastes better when you're hungry - and similarly, even the grossest shower looks damn inviting when you're oozing filth. But our room had the Shangri-la of showers, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was to see it. I spent the next half hour happily scrubbing myself off, using the smorgasbord of delightfully scented toiletries provided by the hotel. There was even a bath "tea." You're supposed to steep the tea bag in the water and then bathe in it. I did not indulge myself, but I did bring it home with me in case I have a day that even a good scotch can't fix.

Although the hotel has a very nice restaurant, I demanded a grimy crab place because who goes to the Eastern Shore during crab season to eat off of fine china, when you could be eating steamed crabs at a filthy crab shack on the Bay? I found just the spot:

St. Michaels Crab and Steak House - way in the back, around the middle-left. Taken from afar and during the next day as we arrived there for dinner in the dead of night.

Dinner was off to a good start with a strong margarita and a cup of Maryland Crab soup - a tomato-based, vegetable soup, that, if done properly, is overflowing with meaty chunks of locally caught blue crab, fresh-picked limas and corn from the farm down the road, and just the right touch of Old Bay seasoning. These folks were old pros, so I was a happy camper. I took a photo of the soup, but it looked like someone had yaked in a cup.

If you can't tell by the flash, it was nighttime and there was precious little light on the deck where we were seated. Eating crabs in the dark is a task that can only be left to the professionals. I've been eating crabs since I was old enough to eat solid food, so I took care of everything with as much panache and aplomb as I could muster with a mallet in hand, crab in my hair, and crab seasoning all over me. The crabs and an order of spicy steamed shrimp were excellent, as were the margaritas and the attentive service.
This place definitely gets two Old Bay-encrusted thumbs-up.

We stopped for ice cream on our walk back and then walked around the hotel.

Secret room! No, it did not lead to a dungeon. Yes, it is a waste of a secret room.

We capped off the night with a few drinky-winkies while sitting outside our room on the banks of the Miles River, enjoying the incredible 67 degree July evening while watching the lights on the boats in the distance.

Blixa screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 06:08 PM
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote