View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Oddometer: 833
The next day, we ate breakfast on our porch and watched the boats. I had a BLT with the world's cutest tabasco bottle.

We walked over to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

We come here every year for the Oysterfest in November, where you basically drink beer, eat oysters, check out the boats and it's dog-friendly, so it's a win-win. I should note that Oldtownduc's favorite thing to do is the oyster stew tasting, which always hits the spot on a cold winter day. But it's nice to come back when it's less crowded, as we were able to see climb up and around the Hooper Strait Lighthouse without being jammed into a narrow stairwell full of screaming children and drunk adults.

This mannequin lighthouse keeper scared the shit out of me.

I will never complain about having a bad day ever again.

What's really neat is the working boatyard housed by the museum.

For the past several years, staff there had been restoring a skipjack (oyster dredging boat) called the Rosie Parks that had been in really bad shape. We saw her relaunched into the water at last year's Oysterfest. The staff did a beautiful job on her.

The Rosie Parks

Skipjack with pushboat. If I remember what I read correctly, oyster dredging boats aren't permitted to have onboard engines, but they can use a pushboat to get them in and out the harbor.
A pushboat is basically a rowboat with an engine that's attached to the back of the oyster boat.

It was time for us to be on our way. Sadly, we left our hotel and continued west to Tilghman Island.

Leaving the Inn.

The clouds finally parted and the temperature of course grew hot just as we were taking off. Once we crossed the drawbridge over Knapps Narrows to Tilghman Island, we rode to the tip for a spectacular view of the Bay and a faint view of Sharps Island Lighthouse (about 4 miles from the shore, with a noticeable 15 degree tilt).

Oldtownduc practicing his levitation skills.

After stopping briefly, we turned around and headed back home through St. Michaels.

Tilghman Island Country Store.

Already, we began lamenting the end of our Eastern Shore adventure. However, the heinous traffic on 50 N gave us the inspiration we needed to make it back home.

Vacation's over! Welcome back

Blixa screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 06:08 PM
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote