View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #97
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakariste
If he came all the way down M5 from Goat Mountain then my guess is he got himself stuck by going to slow in the crossing. He was then unable to muscle the bike out of the mud and rock. A come-along is a good tool to carry, but there's usually a Jeep with a winch in the area (within 30 miles!)

Most all of those roads are of the 2 to 3 daily passersby type. I believe your best bet is to wait with the bike. The first passerby can help you out of the situation-or get help if that is in the cards. Enloe Hospital in Chico sells Helicopter Evac insurance for about $40 a year if you ride this area.

Seems to be about 1 Med Evac each weekend in my casual observation...though if this rider walked away I suppose they were not injured...
The bike was facing the opposite direction, towards Goat Mtn. Just 100 feet up the hill behind the bike in the first photo is Bartlett Springs Rd. That was his best bet for help. This was late on a Sunday afternoon and the forest is getting pretty empty then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoland
...and three extra hours of riding is a bad thing because...?
Only because I was a relative noob to riding in the dirt, traveling solo, it was 5:00 in the afternoon and I had a bit of backtracking to do.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote