View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #82
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Meat my friend...

It's a fine idea on '03 to present... as Chris has already indicated.
What makes it extra fine for '02 and earlier is that the smaller size of the filler bolt makes the more complicated "burp hose" method somewhat less effective.
Allowing the oil to simply bleed past the filler bolt is a quicker, simpler and only slightly more messy method... if your timing is good.
Understood. Your burp hose offers a few seconds of leeway. I hope that the loose frame filler bolt doesn't act like a thumb on the end of the hose does... Hopefully the pressure isn't that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Some people can only do, or even think about one thing at a time, so for those folks, would you rather stop the oil from spewing all over your bike first, or shut off the engine first... which does stop the pump, but does nothing for the oil level that's an inch above your filler bolt by now?
My bold font is the bit of information that I needed to understand why one might want to tighten the bolt ASAP - and why your burp tool makes that unnecessary. Crystal. Sorry but the oil diagram didn't show that to me; perhaps my eyes did glaze over when I looked at it, repeatedly. So if your burp tool isn't used, one should be prepared to tighten the bolt - have the wrench on the bolt perhaps - because the time taken to shut the bike off and prepare to tighten it = more oil leaking out.

No apologies necessary. I did not consider there might be some methods you would rather not discuss in front of your intended audience... my bad.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 07-09-2006 at 06:17 PM Reason: second thoughts
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote