View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #43
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
I lost the thread for a few .....

Greetings everyone .......

First, for the 2 posts that complimented my TDM .... thanks you so much. As I said before ...... I really love that bike.

Tires ......
Good Fucking Gawd ...... I belong to another list site that's specifically for TDM's, they haven't had much going on lately, but back in Jan. there was a major thread about the "Front Tire" issue. I did'nt know what they meant at the time, since I just acquired my TDM in November of 05, and out here in western Oregon, it's mo-fo raining at that time ..........

And no, back then I didn't have the proper gear for riding out in the P.N.W. during the rainy season ....... Hey! I'm originally from Chicago ...... waddaya want ?!?!?!?!?

Well .... I found out what the "front tire" issue was when I started looking for tires ..... I went from the US to the UK, to AU ........ fuck. I thought I centered on a cross pair of Metzelers ...... A Tourance in the back and an .... MK4 something or another .... this goes back like to Feb of this year .... the tread compatibility between the 2 Metz. were good, and I found this out from a post of that other site. The only place I could get the front in my rim size was the UK, so I said ....... OK ..... I call a shop in London, and just F'ing order them from overseas ............. well it started fine, and the shop in London found out from there distrib. that Metz. no longer carried the MK4 something-or-another ......... It took a couple weeks of fairly intense research only to start at square 1.

Then I read another post of a person who ran Distanzia AM44's on both rear and front, cept the front was a ............... yup! you guessed it, a rear rotated proper way round and put on the front. So I did a little more research, and even contacted the PNW distrib of Distanzia ... and even though he could not "officially" support the idea of a rear on the front, he said he knew of a great deal of people, due to odd rim sizes that did just that with no problems ..........

So ..... my rear is a Distanzia AM44, and my front is the same .... fitted proper way round. I've put about 2000 miles on them, and they've been F'ing great. No problems, no abnormal wear on the front .... And ..... when I first got the TDM, she had street tires on her, and lemme tell ya, I didn't feel comfortable with them, as I've been riding dual sport tires for quite a while ..... on my previous love .... my Transalp ........
So if any of you want dual sport tires for a TDM-850, about the only choice you are going to have, unless something new is out, are AM44's.
You could go with a mix of Dunlops, but I personally didn't like the tread compatibility.

As for my TDM compared to my Tiger .........
And I have to be honest ....... A few weeks back, dumb-dumb me, fell off my back deck (I lost my balance) while moving a ladder while I was cleaning my gutters (I was not on the ladder) and broke my right foot (small and clean - but still a break) that I just got out of the cast! And I'm working on rebuilding my calf muscle. Yes ....... I have a chicken leg.

So I just acquired my Tiger like, what ...... 3 days before my mishap ...... WHICH LEMME TELL YA EVERYONE, GETTING A NEW BIKE, AND RIDING IT ONLY TWICE, BEFORE ONLY BEING ABLE TO START IT AND LOOK AT IT (while having a tastey beverage) HAS SUCKED !!!!!!!!!!!

About 3 more weeks, and I'm back on ......

So to compare the 2 bikes, for the little I've road the Tiger ......
To me, power band seems similar ... but I need to take her (the Tiger) out more, obviously.
Balance, cornering, and feel seem slightly the same, but the Tiger has wider grips. It took me a bit to get use to the TDM's stock bars .... they're narrower ..... which I really like now-a-days.
I think the reason there's a great deal of similarities with the bikes as far as power band, gear ratio - to the extent I've ridden the Tiger, is that one bike is a carbed 849 displacement, and the other is a carbed 885 displacement.
Though part of me feels the V2 on the TDM has more gumption off the line, though I need to test this out more .........'
The big difference off the bat that I saw / felt, was my posture and seating between the 2. With the TDM, and I have a Corbin for her, I feel perched up front more, like slightly leaned in to the front, which again I had to get use to, and I think this is due to how much the TDM is a hybrid out of the Tenere .....
Whereas, the Tiger, for posture, feels more like my Transalp, just a bigger bored bike .... Where I'm sitting basically straight up, with no lean .... at least none that I can really tell of, cept if I'm cutting it through some nice twisties, where I'm leaning into shit.
The TDM, with her tires, does really well on groomed trail roads, and I haven't gotten the Tiger out there just yet. First I want to put on new tires.

Anyone have any suggestions ?????? Rim size for the front is standard so it won't be a bitch trying to find d.s. tires for her ........

So anyhow that's my report about the TDM compared to the Tiger, and come Sept ...... ummmmm, maybe 5th or 10th, when I start riding again, I'll be able to give a better comparision report.

I've subscribed to this thread so I won't loose it again ..... and will most definitely talk to ya all later ........

Take care everyone, and take it easy .......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote