View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #180
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
I wanted to do more offroad so I went with the TE as to not sacrifice suspension travel. The SM has stiffer suspension as well as being shorter by about an inch. Considering I can't out ride the TE with street tires on, I think it makes a good curvy road bike as is and you can raise the forks in the stantions to quicken handling as well...so far no regrets on going with the TE and unless I have some disposable income I won't be getting 17's for a while and will use the Pirelli AT90's for pure street miles.

Dan
I'm with you on this Dan My thoughts were running just a little bit like "since I'm not a full time dirt rider, I wanted to get even a little more dual nature out of the bike".

I saw the SM as essentially the same bike, right down to the gear ratios, with only the wheels, 320mm floating disk, and a much bigger Brembo radial caliper as the major diff's and wondered if I wouldn't simply be ahead of the game by starting with the SM. that way, I'd only have to get a front wheel with a 320 disk mounted instead of two wheels with disks and a caliper spacer.

my thinking is that the bigger brake would be more applicable on the dirt than the smaller (possibly undersized?) one would be on the street, no?

I realize that I would probably have to go with a 19" front while keeping the rear at 17" but is that such a terrible compromise?

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote