View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #43
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Laugh put the bike cover on and sleep "in the saddle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by awryders
On the other hand when solo I'll sleep just about anywhere.
Picnic tables in rest areas,behind gas stations,motel parking lots,truck stops...etc.,etc. Just pull the tent fly over me..

Covered drive thru's when its raining.

This spring I had to put the bike cover on and sleep "in the saddle" with my head on the tankbag cause I was to tired to go any farther and it was pouring.
Yes again! This is great stuff. I also have done the wayside picnic table thing and in the grass next to the 24hr convenient store. I love the bike cover on and sleep "in the saddle" thing! Thats a new one, that way you dont have to be concerned about finding dry ground, yeah! On every trip I carry a plain tarp with line attached to the 4 corners. Always I tell myself that if the conditions get too bad or if Im just too tired I will pull over wherever the bike is safe from getting mowed down by a vehicle and chill out.

Quote:
Big Sky Country:
I had enough of the cold temps in Glacier Park and decided to make a run for Yellowstone. The pavement was dry but dark clouds were brewing in the hills and the wind was kicking up. I get out of the mountains and was hammering south just east of the continental divide. Montana sure is big sky country. While cruising along I can see the weather systems build and move. Sometimes I had to stop and wait for one to pass but this time the dark clouds were thick and wide and looking like they were coming right for me. I find a farm road that leads away from the highway and pull off.

I remember using this same technique when I was 16 while cruising solo to Yellowstone. After recently rereading "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"I realize where I learned the technique from.

The storm with a lot of wind came and went. I stayed warm and dry while eating lunch in my little lean-to shelter. One rock I chose for a tie down was insufficient. In the middle of the storm I had to lash one end of the tarp to my boot. It was a little tense but it worked.

The storm passed and I was happy. The rest felt good and it was fun thinking about what I was doing and where I was going. I like having a loose destination and time schedule. Planning the route hour by hour while out in some new wilderness is just fun to me. I always think about the pioneers traveling on horse back and needing to find water and shelter. People think I’m nuts for liking this type of thing. I wonder where it comes from, genes or imagination or is imagination a product of genes? This type of activity just feels good.

All and all the stop cost me about an hour and twenty minutes. This is a long stop for me but worth it, I’m still totally dry.
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote