View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #73
simbob
Grasshopper

Oddometer: 97
Thanks

Thanks, guys. I really don't want to buy a book if I don't need it for the current job, partially because I don't want to wait for it to arrive before I can start work. I'll get one eventually; I always do.

I haven't pulled the front cover to check that sprocket, but the rear looks OK to me -- square tips and smooths sides with sharp edges, no irregular shapes. But WTF do I know? I wondered whether I should just replace them anyway.

The chain has some rust and there's crud on everything, so I'm sure there's more wear than there should be. I've lubed the rear sprocket and chain, top and bottom, inside and out with gear oil and wiped it down pretty aggressively, and it's better, but I'm still not satisfied. It's the only aspect of the bike that looks less than well-cared for. Is it safe to use something like WD-40 on it to strip off some of the buildup?

The maintenance records from the prior owner are good, but I don't think he did much himself between visits to the shop. At just over 9,000 miles, it looks like that took a toll only on the chain -- and maybe the sprockets.

Thanks again.

By the way, I'll need a rear tire fairly soon, and I want to go from bias (current Dunlop 505 rear and Bridgestone Battlax front) to radials, so I'll do the front at the same time even though it's got more life left. What do you think would be the best choice for a touring tire for this bike -- reasonable performance wet and dry with reasonable lifespan?

Bob
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote