View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #74
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman1970
There's definitely nothing wrong with some portaging to get the 250 where it needs to be to start the trip. I've thrown mine in the back of the truck for trips to Maine so that I could enjoy the ride when I got there. Again, that's one of the things that makes these little guys so great, you can carry them where you need them, and go anywhere when you get there!!

So true.

Many of the trips I have taken in the past have included my van which I use as a base of operations. There are times when I do not have a large enough time window or seasonal weather conditions in my favor to get somewhere by bike. Having a seasonal field service job my only real travel window is 2-3 wks in September and the winter months and that is all subject to change without warning depending on work.

I recently had a biz trip to NC and packed my DR200SE along to tour the outer banks for a couple of days once the biz was done. In the past I've hauled My Aprilia RS50 along to areas like Deals Gap, the Cherohala, Suches, Ga for the Grits, and SW Wisconsin for the Wildcat Mtn 100. All these have been great riding experiences that without the van (or other transport)would not have happened and that would have been a loss.

Since I almost always camp, the van makes sense and I have pretty much gone to bikes that will fit in my van (selling off the rest) so that I will be able to haul them to where I want to ride; required in the winter. But there are times (the fall) I prefer travel by bike because it adds a dimension not equalled by cage travel.

At Indian Boundary on the Cherohala.
Attached Images

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote