View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #126
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigDaddy
Last things first.....do you have any experience with TireBalls? They are a nightmare to install in a shop environment with 3 mechanics, let alone in TimBukTu with a stick and a rock. Try Bridgestone Ultra Tubes with Tubeless Tire "Slime" in them and Michelin Desert tires (EXTRA PLY SIDEWALL PREVENTS PINCHES)....on a 525 you will have no worries.
No, no experience with tireballs, they just seem like a good idea, I don't wanna be constantly fixing punctures... the Mondo Enduro guys at one point were fixing myabe 7 punctures per day. Thats just gonna sap strength and morale. I already have Michelin Desert tires... how about those, some 4mm (or are they 5mm?) "monster" inner tubes, and the slime? how much slime do you put in?

Quote:
Get a DID VMX Gold X ring chain and never lube it...never! Run stock 15/45 for street and just bring 14 and 13 primary's, no need to swap rear. Start with an Ironman or SideWinder Tri-metal 45 Rear...they will last 10k miles!
Excellent. Thanks for the recommendation :)
How many miles would you expect the chain to last? or just change it at the same time the rear sprocket gets changed? May have to mail a few chain and sprocket sets (hmm... and inners/repair kits too) ahead of me.... or leave instructions for them to be mailed at specific times.

Quote:
The HT is overkill.....the LC4 motor is only .25 liters more in oil capacity and 20% larger in displacement. Use Motul Synthetic 300V Double Ester 15/50 - I have run these set-ups in every RFS, LC4 and LC8 Baja bike we have built for the last 5 years without one failure.
Maybe overkill, maybe not. I'm prepared to pay the $400 for the peace of mind. After all, I think I'm already asking a lot of this bike for it to take me 40,000 miles! besides, how often am I gonna come across high quality oil? if I have more of it onboard, then theoretically, I can go longer between oil changes, right?

Quote:
Look into the RTT steering damper built into the triple clamp with remote control.....awesome units.
www.rttmotorsports.com/steering_stabilzers.htm
Will do. I'm liking the look of the Scotts with sub mount tho.
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote