View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #100
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra
The Stelvio looks ok, but I like the Quota better. The front wheel on the Stelvio looks small to me. Is the front wheel a 17 inch like the new Tiger? My impression is that the 17 inch is preferable for corner carving, but it gives up a lot of stability to the 21 inch Quota front in sand.

I read that it will be offered with the 850 engine. Is the 850 a bored or stroked Breva 750 engine, or a sleeved down 1100? I remember when BMW came out with the R850R as a sleeved down R1100. (it never was very popular because it weighed as much as the 1100) I rode the Breva 750 and loved it. That 750 engine would be wonderful in a backroad bike.
The Stelvio's front wheel is 19". A good choice IMHO.

The 850 engine is a "big block". In other words, yes, it is a downsized 1100. I don't know if the difference is bore, stroke, or both.

The 850 was originally intended for the European market. Chances are Stelvio will only come to the USA in 1200cc form.

I've owned a Quota and I really liked the looks. Unfortunately, airflow management sucked; it didn't have very good ground clearance; and the front forks were pretty weak for a 550lbs bike.

I actually really liked the Quota. The cool thing about them is that they are available for $4k to $5k in the used market.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote