Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #3008
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Trek bought Bontrager Cycles, made and sold Bontrager branded frames and bikes for a few years, then shut down the frameshop, and just continued to use the brandname on wheels and assorted components. I gather Keith still works for Trek (per wikipedia bio). BTW, Santa Cruz Cycles is a spinnoff of Bontrager Cycles, was cofounded by Keith's ex-partner.

I just had a conversation yesterday with a supposed friend of Keith's. She relayed the story as being pretty benign. Keith was struggling to stay afloat, making great parts and bikes, but being a shitty business person. Trek came in and asked if they'd like to be part of Trek, designing parts, but not building frames. Keith said yes and is still the head of Bontrager.

Am I being hypocritical for not liking Specialized because I know of very specific shit they pulled (having your lawyers go after a company for using "stumptown" in the name of a bike made in stumptown is bad enough for any sane person to say "fuck you Specialized"), and not disliking Trek for stuff I don't know that they might have done?

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote