Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #3015
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B
Part A. That's the story. Many of the Bontrager employees now work at Santa Cruz and SC is actually in the same location that Bontrager used to be in. Keith now rides a ton and is in really good shape. He puts in Mega-miles riding and testing all through the Santa Cruz Mountains and races 24 hour events (often with the Dirt Rag crew) and does several multi-day MTB stage races like the Trans-Rockies and Trans-Alps. The sale was a good thing, but it was still hard to take. Keith didn't get rich off of it but he has a great job now (and he didn't know then that the frame shop would be shut down so soon) and doesn't have to not pay himself to keep the payroll going.

Part B

You got me Knary. That lawyer shit can be harsh and I know Specialized has had some heavy handed moments. Man did they ever get screwed with some recent sponsorships. First golden boy MTB racer Filip Meirhaeghe gets popped for Epo and then they sponsor Quick-Step (Tom Boonen) and a fire storm erupts involving Patrick Lefevere past present and future indiscretions. When Johan Museeuw finally admitted drug use this past January (he had been caught and banned and had retired but kept denying it. His change of heart came when the prosecutor convinced him to plea bargain - a confession - Apparently they told him they had enough evidence to send him to jail.) Any way, Musseuw's confession opened up a can of worms and a lot of fingers are pointed at Lefevre. Specialized must be going not again! I think they make pretty nice bikes though.
What indiscretions are you worried about over at Trek?
Thank you for the additional info.

I don't know what Trek may or may not have done. I was responding to Pierce's comment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
and people bitch about Specialized, heh. Trek shut Bontrager (a santa cruz local high end bike maker) down, and now just uses it as a brand name on a bunch of different stuff (tires, forks, yada yada).
... that was spurred by a response to my saying that my wife might be getting a Lemond.

I believe in making at least an effort to support companies with 'better' business practices. I'm not naive about what's involved in running a large business, but, again, Specialized's involvement in the shutting down of a local and much loved bike company (Mountain Cycle) makes me not want to give them any of my money.

Portland, as you know, takes its bicycles very seriously - too seriously, IMHO. So this topic is a very sensitive one around here and all the more amusing with Trek's and Specialized's number one dealers (or #2 or #3 depending on who's counting what year) both here in Portland. Trek's is The Bike Gallery. The owner of which is very involved in the local cycling scene and actively supports organizations like the Community Cycling Center (great place a couple blocks from my house). Specialized's is River City Bicycles, the other big bike shop in town. These two current giant brands of the industry are clearly well represented here, the land of the anti-corporate boutique bike shop and builder. If we could sell disdain, we'd be the richest city in the world.

p.s. disdain is best served while drinking Starbucks and wearing a pair of Nike sneakers.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote