View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #19
Beastly Adventurer
yater's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
Originally Posted by 20070411
This is not true. You can call any insurance company and get an insurance policy so long as you have the VIN. l have purchased many bikes and cars and done this before I picked them up. Otherwise you would be using the previous owners insurance and he would be responsible if you crashed on the way home.

You must have the insurance before you get the registration anyway. The vehicle registration office asks for it when you are doing the paperwork.

I usually get the insurance policy then pick up the bike/car and get the state inspection the next day. After the inspection is complete I go do the title transfer and get the current registration.

However, you don't need a license to get the insurance policy, transfer the title, or get the inspection.

Oh, and better late than never... :-)
+1...I've registered at least 20 bikes in Tx and insurance comes first. I usually have the bike insured before I pick it up (even when buying out of state). You don't need to have anything but the VIN to insure a bike in Tx.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote