View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #164
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibro
Thanks for the great thread. Even though I don't have a welder it's a good read.
Here's a question.
I was told by some welding supply shops not to buy a rig from the big box stores (home depot, etc.) because they are not the same quality as the rigs they sell and they can't (won't) service them because parts are not available. That's why you pay less. Is this true or just a bunch of hooey to get me to buy at their shop?
At this point I probably would buy at a welding supply shop just for the advice and service.
Just wondering.
Big box stores impress me with thier prices on charcoal and paper towels. Tech questions should be handled by qualified people. Hell, those people cant tell me where the bathroom is.

Any good local welding supply shop (I use two good ones; Cal Weld and Fresno Oxygen/Barnes Welding Supply) should be able to help you. Stay away from the orange apron crowd when making capital purchases. Seriously.

The same goes for anything technical and/or expensive; or life threatening. Ever have a hitch snap off a trailer?
OK, you get the point, buy discount fertilizer at the Home Despot, and buy a red machine at a welding shop who will be able to sell you replacement contact tips and difusers without looking up their part numbers via a downed internet connection.
The welding guys dont carry shovels; and the orange apron crowd dont carry gas cylinders, and Mc Donalds doesnt sell taco sauce. See the logic??????

D