View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
So it is not a Jeep, but I have fun anyway. In a snobish sort of manner.

Last fall found this neat old mine area above Silver City, Idaho, high in the Owyhee mountains. We were on our dual sport motorcycles, but I thought I might be able to get the ML in there so I could take my wife.

Yesterday was the day. Loaded up the ML with enough firepower to overthrow a small government and headed for Silver City.

I have no idea how to make the photos look as rough as the terrain actually is. If someone can give me some pointers, please do. In the photos the trail looks tame, but in reality, it was quite steep, loose, and rough. Not to mention narrow. Spent an hour with my rotary buffer polishing all the "racing stripes" out of the paint from all the brush and tree limbs.

Lost each of the rear bumper access panels once each. One was left on a pile of rocks and easy to retrieve, the other got ripped off as I was climbing up out of a creek and I had to chase it down the creek. Good thing it was warm because that water was ICE! If I go anywhere aggressive again I will just take the front and rear bumper covers off, about a 20 minute job. Really increases it's attack and departure angles.

One thing really impressed me. Had to navigate a couple of ledges where I was cross tetering on one of the front and rear wheel only. Two wheels airborne. The traction control worked fantastic, locking down the free wheels to transfer power to the wheels on the ground. Pulled right out of it. I was also really impressed with the hill decent feature. When locked into first gear, low range (yes, it has a two speed transfer case, with the lowest ratio gearing of any production 4x4), it will use the antilock brakes to control a decent down any slope while not locking up any wheel. I tried it while negotiating a very loose, rocky, off camber switchback where I might of gone sideways had I not been using it. I am used to two wheels, not four.

So, without further adeu, here are the photos:

This was steep enough it was hard to walk up, yet it looks flat in the photos. Any help with techniques?:mad:

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote