View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #23
Jhon

Oddometer: 2,994

Cool thread NWGS.

Like you, I love my Jeep'n (almost as much as my motorcycling!)

Hereís a couple of photos from recent trials, which my club runs on a monthly basis.

We set up eight sections using natural terrain and make it more difficult by placing Ďgatesí, using canes and marker poles along the course.

You get points if you hit a cane, come to a halt, miss a gate, etc.

All sorts of vehicles take part and itís good crack!

The Jeep does well at most events. It has several advantages over the other vehicles like Land Rover 90ís that are in my class; great axle articulation, rear LSD, superb low-down torque and a much better turning circle all help keep the points down.
Some of the disadvantages are Ė the breakover angle isnít as good and the long bonnet can make sighting tricky on steep climbs.
Oh, and itís a thirsty SOB and gearing and axle mods are more expensive.

Iíve always loved Jeeps and this one is my first. I came to Jeeps after running land Rovers for twenty years; all sorts from a 1957 Series 1 (with V8) to a V8 90 with diff-locks, auto-box, cage and other mods.

The TJ has been modded; Iím trying to strike a balance between off-road capability and on-road drivability.
A mild OME (2 ĹĒ) suspension lift, Cobra seats, 31Ē mud tyres, Borla SS exhaust, anti-sway disconnects and a Slip-yoke eliminator all help.
I know if I went to larger tyres Iíd have to regear (expensive!) fit a body lift, change the suspension again, etc. Itís not worth it.

Looking at you videos Ė nice rig. (Iím guessing thatís a modified YJ?) Do you prefer leaf springs to coils? Iíve found that even with quality aftermarket springs and damper set-ups that the leafs do not articulate as well as coils. Apart from simplicity, I see no advantage that the leafs offer over coils. (Iím prepared to be educated thoí)

A final point to ponder. I'm coming to the conclusion that for (non-competition) maximum fun off-road it would be better to fit skinny balding all-terrain tyres, rather than 35" Super Swampers and ARB diff locks.
If a vehicle is truly capable of going everywhere, the challenges that the driver has to set-it get more and more extreme, the skills of the driver start to be of secondary importance. With a mildly modded vehicle thereís more emphasis on the driver and consequently greater satisfaction when obstacles are overcome, particularly when other more heavily modified vehicles have tried and failed.
In our club we've found that a competent driver in an average vehicle will get further and score better than an average driver in a competent vehicle.

Having said that I still want a Unimog!

Jhon screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 07:25 AM
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote