View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
boney OP
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn
Hey guys,

The nice folks at OOHVA.org were the original ones to take the time to map and waypoint the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route. Without them we wouldn't have the information on the route to enjoy. Keep that in mind when you're swapping routes and waypoints (I haven't always paid attention to this like I should). They sell the maps and the funds go to support mapping more routes (they are working on a loop that will connect 2 and 3 to parts of 5). Buy their maps or send a few bucks their way.

Greg
I respect the efforts of the OOHVA people. But the maps aren't worth what they're charging.

They're expensive, and in reality- hardly worth the paper they're printed on. The information on them is not recent. I discovered at least one place on their route where motorized vehicles are not allowed any longer. One of the gas stations they list is closed entirely and another had/has some funky hours. Things people might be interested in while riding the trails that would be useful information if you're selling a guide (which is pretty much what they're doing.) If you're trying to navigate using those pieces of map you'll never get anywhere anyway- they're too difficult to read, the color is washed out and not detailed enough. The waypoints are the ONLY thing worthwhile in the whole package. In fact, they should just publish a list of the waypoints and skip the rest. Mind you, FIRST they should take the time to convert all their different format sfor listing the waypoints to one commone one... something they didn't seem interested in doing when publishing the paper sets.

I know things change, but it seems like the information included in that set of maps is from the 1958 USGS series. After spending the cash on them, and seeing what I got and how (un)useable it really was, I decided to never buy another "trail set" of maps from anyone. Any one of us who has even the most remote sense of adventure can get out there and do just as good of a job (or better) with only a cheap NSFS paper map and a GPS.

Countdown is at least keeping track of "real time" information, in terms of the trails that have been ridden recently and what the gas situation was etc. His information is far more valuable that what the OOHVA is offering. And it's free.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote