View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #155
2 Wheels

Oddometer: 174
Ride Report - Erendira, Baja California Part 1

SANTO TOMAS TO ERENDIRA 7-27-2007 - PART 1

Last week, husky4me, Joaquin, and I rode from Tecate to Laguna Hanson. This week, Joaquin invited husky4me and myself to stay at his mother's house in Ensenada Thursday night and ride from Santo Tomas to Erendira on Friday. We both know a good thing when we see it, so we take him up on the invite. Thanks, Joaquin, once again for the invite.

MAP OF NORTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA

The towns of Santo Tomas and San Vicente on the main highway and Erendira on the coast were the main points on our route.

FIRST PART OF OUR ROUTE - ENSENADA TO SANTO TOMAS

LEAVING CHULA VISTA

The ride starts for husky4me and myself in Chula Vista when we load the bikes into my truck and leave for Ensenada. When Joaquin gave me directions, he couldn't remember the address of his mother's house, but he had GPS coordinates. We would have spent 2 hours trying to find her condo without that little gadget.

CONDO IN ENSENADA

We arrive in Ensenada to a beachfront condo about a mile or so north of downtown. The smell of the salty air, the sound of the surf, and the feel of an ocean breeze are no surprise when we arrive at the condo. What surprises me is that his mother is American and speaks mostly English.

One of the first things she tells me is that she likes my ride write-up from the week before about the ride to Laguna Hanson. She also asks me how to find it on the internet so she can tell her daughter how find it and read it. Finding out that people outside the world of motorcycling are reading our write-ups and enjoying them makes me happy. I know you're going to read this write-up sooner or later so I'd like to thank you once again for letting me stay at your house.

GETTING READY TO LEAVE

We leave the condo a little after 7:00 AM to have breakfast at Mikaza Restaurant in Ensenada.

THE GROUP AT MIKAZA RESTAURANT

From to right that's myself, Martin "husky4me", Joaquin, and Joaquin's nephews Miguel and Rai. Their family is into racing and they love motorcycles. I have a funny story to tell about them and motorcycles later on.

A KID'S MEAL AT MIKAZA

The locals in Ensenada know Mikaza as a restaurant that serves big breakfasts. It gets my recommendation too.

HOW TO FIND MIKAZA

If you're ever in Ensenada trying to find Mikaza, it's across the street from this.

READY TO LEAVE AFTER BREAKFAST

That's Dana in the orange T-shirt. The jeep next to the bikes is Dana's. Dana has been on the chase crews for Baja race teams since she was a little girl and she loves to drive around on the back roads of Baja California. She is going to chase for us today and she has a radio to stay in contact with Joaquin. She's also taking her two nephews along. Did I mention they like motorcycles?

We take pavement from Ensenada to Santo Tomas. As we ride through Ensenada, I smell smoky fires. I can't see where they're coming from but there's nothing but city around us. Maybe people use them to cook.
A few people are driving like they're late for work and making me nervous. One driver comes within a few inches of taking out husky4me, but we make it out of town without any mishaps.

MEXICAN FEDERAL HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH OF ENSENADA

THE SANTO TOMAS VALLEY

Lots of vineyards around here. That building on the left is a winery.
2 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote