View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #224
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
FuriousBrokenWind,

I guess what I'm trying to do here is determine where the dividing line between sensible and stupid is.

If I were to bury some conduit a couple of feet underground and pull wire through it, from the garage to over near the swing set, and install an outlet, that would be perfectly OK, right? But an 'extension cord' isn't OK... My thinking is that at SOME point, an extension has got to be heavy enough to carry the required current, and that point should roughly correspond to when the area of the wires equals the area of the wire one would bury if hard-wiring a circuit.

It sounds like the cable you're talking about is more like what I had my electrician put on my 220V table saw when he was reworking my basement wiring. Heavy gauge cord with thick black insulation. Essentially I'd be custom-fabricating a to-spec extension?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote