View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
Mike M
On the Border

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMDub
Yes, the stockers are WP pieces (noticed when I was scouting the upgrade). I do appreciate the Ohlins, but right now I'm leaning toward waiting until I notice some degredation of the stockers or encounter some situation where I think the Ohlins would be "that much" better. Hopefully, this situation isn't one where I'm sliding along the pavement toward a ditch .
I am going to splurge on new tires. Again, the stock Trailwings only have 6k miles on them, but the rear is getting a little flat in the center and they are at least 3 years old. Plus, they pale (IMHO) in comparison to the Tourances I've run in the past. [Good bang for the buck here!] I've been having fun sliding my SM bike around, but my GS squirms a bit without trying. I've got a set of Tourance EXPs on the way. [Sorry, Hijaaked my own thread.]
I waited until the stockers began to feel worn but (at least in my case) it was a slow degradation and I didn't want to wait until they broke down, so I went to Ohlins at 9K miles.

I cannot say that there is a "tremendous difference in ride quality" as mentioned, but maybe that is due to the signficant life that I had with only 9K on my stock shocks. However, the plushness and overall handling of the bike is clearly improved.

I thought I would be sporting a big woody after I rode the bike for the first time after installing the Ohlins but it's not like that....I think it will take a while to fully appreciate the benefits of these shocks. I think I'll be happy with the investment.

My 2 cents...