View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
Motorrader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I just installed a new pair of Ohlins on my 2007 R1200GSADV. Having done this before with my other motorcycles, because the cushy, average BMW shocks are historically, and still mediocre, I didn't wait for them to wear out. The difference is so dramatic that you won't believe it. Youre BMW will now handle like a firm sport bike on rails. No wallow or twitchiness in the front end anymore. For instance, a moderate 55mph sweeper on the interstate at 85mph is extremely sure footed even with buffeting from other vehicles. If you are a non-aggressive rider, it might not be that dramatic for you. You feel the road with Ohlins. I wouldnt describe it as a smooth, isolated ride. It's a tight, confident precision feel: a little stiffer, with lightning fast rebound recovery and non jarring but accurate compression for the conditions. My wife who rides with me all the time, describes it as more road feel, but more confident with an "on rails" feel. As a side note, I had a 1994 1100GS that I put only a front Ohlin's on leaving the rear stock. The handling was suberb...in fact I think the front shock is the most important with regard for handling on these bikes. The problem with the rears however, is they fade more easily and become choppy. That might not be the case with the newer GS shocks with reservoirs. If I was on a limited budget, and wanted a tremendous improvement in the handling, installing a front Ohlins would be the way to go.

Kurt
Motorrader is offline   Reply With Quote