View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #71
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
Ryan: I did this basic ride today before seeing your post. I did the "easy" route by taking pavement for first and last part of the loop (Renolds Creek Rd and Road back from Silver Creek.)

I would like to report that the top of Black Mountain Rd area still has quite a bit of mud and sections of snow covered roads which made it a bit challenging (as well as the rocky road conditions thrown in there as well) This was the first time I have done Black Mtn Rd so not sure if it is normally this rocky.

BUT the snow made for some awesome scenery and the KLR did fine. Agree that anything bigger would be a handful. Especially on the road back down from Silver City where there was still quite a bit of snow/ice on the road in the shade areas.

Total ride from Meridian was about 140 miles and took about 4.5 hours -- again, staying mainly to the pavement rd through Hemingway/Renolds creek area.

I would be up for doing this again with you guys since the scenery was so good and sounds like there would be some more dirt involved ...

Regards,
Jim
Thanks, Jim - that's good info to pass along.

If Black Mt Rd seems to be too slick, we can take the route that's further east of that - Slate Mt(?), and stay out of the snow line. It's a more technical route though, and a 650 feels real top heavy in it...

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote