View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyTom
Why can't someone invent/design a ball joint for a hip where the wearing surfaces are replaced but the joint connections are left intact?

The man at 40 who said his antificial hip had a 10 year life span and after that he was going to be in a wheelchair is not a good option and offers an opportunity for someone to design a better device/product.

Good luck all.

I'm 43, and I'll be having a hip resurfacing procedure done in either December or January. I was hit by a car while riding in 1988, and my hip has finally degenerated to the point that the pain is constant and excruciating. I work in a nasty blue-collar job, too, which doesn't really help.
The resurfacing procedure leaves the femoral head intact with a cobalt/chrome stell cap glued on it, and a matching socket is fitted to the acetabulum (pelvis). I'll run metal-to-metal, with yearly kidney exams to check for metal ions in the blood.
The doctors at UC Davis have told me that after a full year of properly rehabbing I'll be able to do anything that I could before I was injured.
Check out www.birminghamhipresurfacing.com for the details. Not everyone is a condidate for this type of procedure, but it sure looks promising. I'll keep everyone here informed of my progress.
Good luck to everyone out there who is going through this type of pain. There is relief available!!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote