View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
custmmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
Birmingham's are nice. But only a very small percentage of hip patients qualify for them. We've just started doing them again after a several year hiatus. The technology has finally caught up with the theory and they are much better than they used to be. They're good for younger, realatively active, and otherwise healthy patients. It still leaves the femoral head intact and makes it easier to do a total hip later if/when the Birmingham wears out.
justcrashnthru

Can you give us some more information on what would disqualify someone from getting a hip resurfacing? The doctor said I did not qualify, but during the office visit we had so many other questions to ask that we did not follow up on the resurfacing issue. I would prefer the resurfacing because it allows for more long term options.

I would also like to know more about a hip fusion. Would it be possible to ride motorcycles at all after a hip fusion? During my first doctor consultation he suggested hip fusion, but at the next visit he said I should not consider fusion.

Thanks to all for contributing. This is great information, please keep it coming. I will continue to collect comments for a few more days, and then try to summarize what I learned from this and other postings.

I look forward to the day that I can enjoy riding something more entertaining than the electric shopping carts at Wal-Mart.

Ron
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote