View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #30
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc
Bigger Al

Have you had the "pin" hardware on your femoral head since 1988, or did you have a pelvic fracture? Is your pain a result of AVN or something else? Lasting for ten years after hip trauma seems very impressive to me. A year and a half after the accident, I returned to work for three weeks. Due to the increased activity (a lot of walking) the hardware "pin" on my femoral head was irritating the tendon on the outside of my leg. During the surgery in June 2006 to remove the hardware, I got an infection, and have not yet been able to recover. Doctor and Hospital selection is critical to the success of any surgery.

Hope the hip resurfacing works for you, and you have a quick recovery. Please keep me updated.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Sorry about not replying to this, but i just saw it today. My Femur was snapped in half about 4.5 inches below the femoral head, and I had a stainless steel rod inserted into the femur. It was fixed in place by two screws about 2 inches above the knee. I haven't been diagnosed with AVN, but with severe arthritis.
I went to UC Davis on Wednesday for my pre-surgery appointment, and received some distressing news: my hip has deteriorated to the point that a resurfacing procedure might not now be viable. I may have to have a complete replacement, which changes things for me considerably. Please understand that I'm not complaining. The pain is so severe that any relief will be so very welcome, but considering that I'm only 43, the replacement will place some very strict limitations on my activities.
It's been 19 years, and the end of hurting is close, so I'm a pretty happy guy.

I really wish you well in your recovery. Infection is a big fear of mine, and I feel that the choice of UC Davis Med Center is the best possible one for my area.
Take care, and please keep me updated on how you're doing.
Al

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote