View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #62
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
I think this is one cool device. I'm holding off on a purchase however until I see more real world reports. I normally ride in deep forested canyons in North Idaho and often have poor or no gps fixes. I'm thinking a PLB might be a better choice....
Hi John,
I'm really hoping others that own the device will do some of their own testing and report back here. I have not tested SPOT in northern Idaho. My only experience in Idaho is with a GlobalStar satellite phone and, to be honest, it was a real disappointment. While kayaking/rafting there I often had to climb up out of deep canyons. Even then I would sometimes have to wait 10 minutes or so for the thing to work (I guess as a satellite came into view.) SPOT has many advantages over the sat phone - and my guess is it would work much better there than the phones do. However, we will soon launch a rental program for SPOT and I am interested in more user testing. PM me and I will try and arrange for you to use a device free of charge in the next month or so.
Thanks
Offroute

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote