Thread: Highland Motors
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 07:38 AM   #95
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Another good day out

I thought I might share some of the off road stuff from a few Fridays ago on the Highland.

Arranged to go out in the Yorkshire Dales with 2 friends Dave (right) long time trail rider and dales trails encyclopaedia, and Stuart from Lincolnshire great rider and father of a junior national trials champion.

Both equipped with proper trail bikes weighing round 125kilos.

We took off up Nidderdale and immediately got onto the moors
Rough tracks no problem but this was a little challenging lower down.

Taking these trails so overgrown that I could not see where the wheels were tracking with many surprise of deep rut, hole, large stone or tree root. I suppose that is a good way to learn a skill.

Many river and stream crossings as we made our way up Wensleydale

On the moor top Stuart got well out of hand coming out of a bog but recovered well.

I had one or two 'tactical dismounts', fortunately gentle over on the side stuff though a back injury sustained some three months ago made picking the Highland up harder than usual. Electric foot starts straight away from a lay down.

Rounding a corner on a rough track I found Dave apparently sleeping in the middle of the road alongside his bike. He was obviously checking out his bones after a fall and we managed to right him and his bike. A painful and strangely shaped thumb was rapidly straightened -
"that's better", and the footrest and gear leaver similarly attended. Tough Hombre is Dave. And we carried on, Stuart having swapped his Suzuki for the Highland to vanish off into the distance. When we caught him up Dave complained of sore ribs but it didn?t stop him.

Riding Stewart's DR 350 (now 400) light and easy to ride on these trails. No look of fear on my face now.

Met up with some lads on Kiddstones who had just met John McGuiness (130mph lap record holder IOM TT) riding on the trails, by I?m moving in exalted company.

Stopped at West Burton for a bit of 'scran' and a breather.

Dave in recovery mode - he didn't go home early but I did.

Great day out.

John in Leeds screwed with this post 12-08-2007 at 10:54 AM
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote