Old 12-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #23
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
That was modern in 1958.

900cc isn't big enough?

I guess you have to ride around on the street masquerading as Ricky Carmichael to be taken seriously. Anyone riding dirt back then is merely a poser since most of the roads were dirt.
Seriously:

It is a nice classic. But it still is a chopper/custom, despite the heritage and the front fork covers. But it is certainly NOT a big trail bike. In those days, every one was riding off-road - as mentioned by you - and in that light you could see a Czech build 350cc Jawa, a German build 350cc DKW or a old Moto Guzzi as better (= less weight and better cornering as a Harley) alternatives. Especially in those days.

What I call a classic big trail bike? Well... certainly not a single 'thumper' - that are dirt bikes which are an entirely other category. A big trail bike may not be able to get as far in the dirt as a dirt bike, but would combine comfort and long distance riding an easy piece of cake - with the manoeuvrability of a dirt bike, and the comfort of a touring bike. The only Harley which comes close to that isn't a Harley, but a Buell.

In my modest opinion there is only one bike who started the big trail bike scene, and that was the late 70-ties BMW R80GS.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote