This has gotten beat up pretty good and bent against the chain, so the Jury is still out on how useful it is. I do know I've hit some pretty good rocks w/ it and it's still there, not sure how well the plastic one would have survived. Only time will tell.
Then I thought I'd add a little color.
I swapped a new set of sprockets and chain on. If I was riding around here I would have let them go for another 2-3,000 miles as the chain had about 12,000 miles on it. Down in Mexico is not the place to have a chain fail, so a new one goes on. I put a Regina 525ZRP/120 X-ring chain on at around 15,000 miles.(needs to be cut to 118 links) It has held up well. It is rated for larger bikes than the stock chain is actually and is plated to help prevent rust. The stock one took a lot of maintenance to keep the rust at bay when I commuted almost everyday. I like the Regina so I got another. One other thing I learned lat sprocket swap is stick w/ the KTM ones. They are pricey but the hold up well. I run JT sprockets on my LC4 640E w/ good luck so I thought I'd try there 950 42T rear. The rear bolt are held from spinning by the flange on the sprocket. The JT flange was not the right size and too soft. I had to use a vise to hole the head of the bolt to keep it from not spinning. NO FUN. I bought new bolts and nuts and from now on KTM sprockets only.
Last year I ran 16/42 in Mexico. Two up travel w/ Gobis and tail bag for two weeks. This year I'm going w/ 16/45. We travel w/ KLR650's. 80mph max would be fine.
No problem for the 950.
I had put the 950 SE chain guard on some time ago. Both side for about $15 is a good deal I figure. They include frame guards integrated in them and have held up very well to MX boots and mud. Plus it's nice to be able to see at a glance how the front sprocket is doing and the nut is tight.
I checked/cleaned the clutch oil jet again while I was in there. First time it was clean, this time it was clean too.
If you look close you will see that I have the clear hose that comes from the bottom of the air box plugged too. Now that I run the UNI prefilter, air is only coming in through there. I'm sure it doesn't make that big of a difference, but there has to be a slight draw on the end of the hose too, so no dust is getting sucked up through that now.
Head2wind's jet kit has worked great. Thanks for all your hard work.