View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Pruned from "nachtflug's motorcycle thread" (now with pictures!) which has contributions from lots of folks with the info you're looking for....

Trailing Jack
Not really Steve

Oddometer: 433 This thread really hits home.
I can't post pictures (although I have bunches of 'em) here's some '70's memories...
First bike - 1970 Honda SL100, orange, low pipe, blew it up trying to climb a wet grassy hill. Wore a white open face Buco helmet.
Next up - '71 175DT1 Yamaha "enduro". The gold one. Stripped off the lights, painted it silver(?), Preston Petty "mudder" fender on the front. Began to learn motocross skills. Black helmet (can't remember what brand) with the cool snap on face shield.

1974 CR125 Honda Elsinore Dream bike. $749 out the door. Bought the red/white/blue helmet, jersey,and leathers (they were leather!) so I could pretend to be Marty Smith.

Started racing against my folk's wishes. Moderate success - some of the best times of my life. Best track we had was Central PA Motocross Park, Stormstown (State College) PA. Regulars included John Savitski, Bevo Forte, and on occassion Mickey Kessler.
During this fertile time, my buddies and I regularly went to Lexington Ohio where they raced the 125 USGP and Trans-AMA races every year at the now long gone Mid-Ohio motocross facility. Saw an epic battle with Marty Smith and Bob Hannah dicing for the lead while they were kicking then-world champ Gaston Rahier's ass. Saw DeCoster come from way behind in a mud bath Trans-AM to challenge for the lead only to lose his rear fender (from the weight of the mud) and have his airbox suck mud causing a DNF. Right in front of us. He was wearing white coveralls over his leathers. Seems like yesterday.
Also collected all the Dirt Bike and MX Action mags - during the days of Super Hunky and the BAZ. - Still have most of 'em.
Back to the bikes- next up 1978 Yamaha 125YZE. Changed to the new leather/nylon JT leathers. Still have 'em along with my Full Bore boots.
Racing career ended about this time corresponding with knee surgury.

Other bikes since have include bigger, faster dirt bikes in the later 80's but nothing can compare (for me) to those days and those bikes.
Thanks for starting this thread, Flug, and bringing back great times.

Chuck
Okay, I was able to actually read this in peace and enjoy it. What great information! Thanks for sharing that. Okay, first truely clueless question, who was Super Hunky?
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote